Career Options for People who Love Driving

(Image Source: Flickr)

People who love to drive can often make a career out of that interest, and there are a number of different kinds of jobs involving driving that can take them all over the country. Driving jobs can suit different types of people too, including those who enjoy meeting others, and those who would prefer a more solitary kind of career. However, unless you intend to drive racing cars on a track, or farm vehicles on private land you often will need to begin any new career by obtaining a learner license, getting your P plates, and finally your full licence.

Driving jobs: Cars

Examples of careers that require a good deal of driving in cars include transport jobs such as film runner or courier, educational jobs such as driving instructor, and personal driving jobs like taxi driver, chauffeur and limousine driver.

Other occupations and trades in which driving may not be the primary focus, but will still be required much of the time, include road inspector, farm worker, stunt driver, car salesperson, sales rep, and motoring journalist. Consider also mobile services, such as dog grooming, swimming pool maintenance, electrician, and rural vet. Emergency services careers such as paramedic, highway patrol officer and firefighter can also require a lot of driving.


There are transport and education careers related to motorcycles, such as courier and motorbike instructor, while occupations that involve these vehicles include motorcycle servicing and sales, highway patrol officer, farmhand, stunt rider, and tourism roles such as motorbike tour guide or even motorcycle sidecar rider.

Heavy vehicles

Transport jobs involving the driving of heavy vehicles include the likes of truck driver, forklift driver, and coach and bus driver, the latter two of which also obviously involve the transportation of passengers. Other occupations and trades related to heavy vehicles include warehouse manager, construction vehicle driver, various roles in road maintenance, and a number of specialist occupations like airport tug driver, security vehicle driver and motoring journalist.

Getting that job

The right kind of driving licence is a prerequisite for those looking to work in an occupation that involves lots of driving, but some employers may be willing to train those candidates that have other valuable qualifications and experience. A clean licence with no speeding or drink driving convictions is important, as the firm’s insurance may otherwise not provide coverage.


In order to become a bus, coach or lorry driver you will need to possess a full car licence and have a qualification known as the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence. The full Driver CPC is necessary for anyone for whom driving such a heavy vehicle is the central aspect of their employment. Four tests usually need to be passed to acquire it, unless existing driving experience provides you with “acquired rights”. To stay qualified, drivers will have to take periodic training for 35 hours every five years.

LGV, HGV and PCV licences are all variations of the kind of licence required to drive heavy vehicles, although there are numerous distinctions and subcategories even in the individual licences, such as seating capacities and trailer weight. You will need to talk to your employer to determine the exact licence you will need for your particular job.